There is more then one way to secure our energy needs. Everything from conservation practices to proactive construction to wind and tidal. It is always important to remember that no form of energy is without some environmental impact.
Here are some opinion pieces, articles, research and real sucess stories from around the world in the area of energy conservation and production.
Have suggestions and links? Please leave them in the comments below!
10) Bladeless, funnel-based wind turbine claims huge efficiency gains – Geek.com – May 12, 2013
9) Science is surfacing that could make solar power much more economical!
- Solar power cheaper than coal: One company says it’s cracked the code – Grist.com (Article is interesting, comments are even better!)
8) Home Grown Solutions. With the recent challenges at Holyrood there is a question if we are using the rest of our resources on the island to the best of our abilities. Here is some of the feedback on the recent ideas of rotating power outages. And I am on the hunt for the articles that look at generation stations on the island that are work at much less then full capacity.
- Rotating power outages possible, says N.L Hydro – CBC – Jan 23, 2013
- VOCM Nightline MHA Lorraine Michael Concerns About Holyrood’s Busted Generator VOCM – Jan 22 2013
- Holyrood hydro plant power rationing – CBC January 23, 2013
7) Renewables in Germany:
- Over Half of Germany’s Renewable Energy Owned By Citizens & Farmers, Not Utility Companies
- 20% Of Germany’s Electricity Now Comes From Renewable Energy: Over the past decade, wind and biomass have fueled Germany’s growth in clean energy.
6) The World Wind Energy Association is watching the global use of Wind Power grow at amazing rates.
5) Geothermal in Manitoba (yes, they do more then just hydro)
4) Real projects happening in New Brunswick:
- Great examples are found in this CCNB video called Moving Forward on alternative energy in NB. – August 2012
3) Wind Power at Upper Churchill (would love any information about what happened on this):
- Canadian Wind Energy Developer Announces Canada’s Largest Wind Farm to be Built in Labrador – The Electricity Forum – 2006?
- The Labrador Ventus Limited Partnership is the proponent of the ‘Height of Land Wind Park’ – Energy Plan Submission – February, 2006
2) Scotland and Wave Power:
- National goal of 100% Renewable Energy by 2020!
- Already using 5 different ways to harvest the Ocean’s energy.
1) Australia and Wind Power: